David Postolski, a partner at Gearhart Law, is a registered patent attorney and Intellectual Property attorney. With over 17 years’ experience, David specializes in assisting inventors, creators, artists, start-ups, entrepreneurs, early stage companies and emerging companies with their U.S and International intellectual property strategy, protection, enforcement and monetization. David is a frequent speaker and author on intellectual property issues surrounding emerging technologies (cannabis, crypto currency, 3d printing, gig economy), raising capital, business formation, licensing, and reward and equity based crowd funding. David is also a Professor at Parsons School of Design where he teaches master level students about IP, ethics and other regulatory considerations in starting business ventures and products around design. David is a current council member of the ABA Section of Intellectual Property law and the incoming Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Officer. He is the founder of the International Action Group and editor of their monthly newsletter. David remains very involved in the creation of New York State’s first federally approved patent pro bono program in conjunction with Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
David’s practice includes prosecuting patent and trademark applications both domestically and internationally. His patent practice encompasses various technological and scientific areas, including software and app development, financial transactions, gaming, life sciences and medical, mechanical and electrical devices, and business methods, as well as patents related to chemistry. He has experience managing patent and trademark portfolios and advising clients on prosecution strategies, as well as drafting replies to office actions and appeals briefs, and conducting interviews with examiners. In addition, David prepares instructions to foreign associates regarding prosecution in various countries and evaluates IP portfolios for potential licensing value, technical merit and patentability/validity. David also has experience in copyright, trade secret protection and corporate transactional matters including the drafting and negotiating of end user licenses, master service and terms of services agreements, security agreements, coexistence agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
David’s life sciences industry experience includes counseling, drafting and prosecuting U.S. and Foreign patent applications in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry, physics and chemical engineering. He has prosecuted applications with subject matter including but not limited to thermodynamics, thermometry, paramagnetism, hyperpolarization, carbon dioxide emissions and effects, medical devices, a variety of healthcare products and pharmaceuticals. His experience also extends to the corresponding branding, trademark, business and corporate side of intellectual property, including drafting and negotiating licenses, product development, manufacturing and launch, FDA processes, ANDA procedures and consumer product safety commission processes.
In Association With:
- Presenter: September 6, 2018 – US Patent Law. Tel Aviv Bar Association, Tel Aviv Israel
- Presenter: September 20-21, 2018 – Creating your First Entrepreneurial Law Course. European Conference on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Aveiro Portugal
- Lecturer: October 10, 2018 – Intellectual Property in Drug Discovery. Rutgers Biomedical and Health Studies Graduate School, Newark NJ
- Sponsor: October 14 and 16, 2018 – International Womens Entrepreneurship Week. Shenkar College, Ramat Gan Israel. Register here: http://meetu.ps/e/FLdJk/bHDxv/a
- Sponsor: October 25, 2018 – The Secrets to Successful Presentations and Public Speaking. Shenkar College, Ramat Gan Israel Register here: http://meetu.ps/e/FLdLM/bHDxv/a
- Presenter: November 17-22, 2018 – Patentability of Biological Materials, Isolated or Derived from Living Organisms – a US and Canadian Perspective. Asian Patent Attorney’s Association, New Delhi, India
- Presenter: November 29, 2018 – Trade Secrets – How to capitalize on your assets. Shenkar College Keter Center for Innovation, Ramat Gan Israel. Register here: http://meetu.ps/e/FLdMS/bHDxv/a
- Presenter: December 20, 2018 – Corporate, Business and IP Strategies in Cannabis. Shenkar College Keter Center for Innovation, Ramat Gan Israel. Register here: http://meetu.ps/e/FLdP2/bHDxv/a
News, Publications & Presentations
- Presenter: August 8, 2018 – The Start Up Legal Journey. Google Campus Tel Aviv, IL
- Presenter: June 19, 2018 – IP 101 in the medical industry. Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia PA
- Presenter: June 17, 2018 – Tedx Shenkar University, Speaker. Tel Aviv, Israel. Watch the video here.
- Presenter: June 10, 2018 – Afeka College, Regulations and Ethics, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Presenter: May 24, 2018 – International Culinary Center, Intellectual Property in the Food Industry, New York City, NY
- Presenter: May 21, 2018 – Temple University Executive MBA program, Intellectual Property Workshop. Philadelphia, PA
- Publication: “IP and Business Issues in a Reward-based and Crowdfinance Industry. A US Perspective”, Current Trends in Start-ups & Crowdfinancing
- Presenter: May 13, 2018 – Beit Issie Shapiro. IP and 3d printing Jerusalem Israel
- Presenter: May 1, 2018 – AIPPI-US and Israel Bi Annual Meeting- 2017 Patent Prosecution – The year in review. Tel Aviv Israel
- Presenter: April 24, 2018 – AIPLA design boot camp. Medical Devices and Designs, Washington DC
- Presenter: April 20. 2018 – The Dark Web– Enter at Your Own Risk, ABA IP Law Spring Annual Meeting, Virginia
- Presenter: April 19. 2018 – Regulatory and Ethical Contexts- IP and Emerging Technologies, ABA IP Law Spring Annual Meeting, Virginia
- Presenter: March 19-21 CannaTech-Tel Aviv, IP and Cannabis – everything you need to know. Tel Aviv, Israel
- Presenter: February 20, 2018 – Trump One Year Later: Effect on IP and Business, Webinar for the Clear Law Institute
- Presenter: February 6-7, 2018 – IP and Legal Workshop, Montclair State University, NJ
- Presenter: January 8, 2018 – 3D Printing and IP Presentation, Beit Issie Shapiro Research Hospital, Israel
- Presenter: December 6, 2017 – Trademark and Domain Names, Beit Issie Shapiro Research Hospital, Israel
- Presenter: October 25, 2017 – Cannabis and IP, CannaTech Conference, October 25, London England
- Presenter: October 13-17, 2017 – IPPI- Australia
- Presenter: October 10-12, 2017 – ABA IPL Fall Seminar LA
- Presenter: August 29, 2017 – Intellectual Property in Innovation, ABA center for Innovation, Chicago IL
- Presenter: August 24, 2017 – How Trump Will Affect IP Rights of Incoming US IP Applications and Tips and Strategies for Prosecuting US Patent and TM Applications, ABIPI- Latin American IP Bar Association, Rio De Janeiro Brazil.
- Presenter: August 21-23 – US Perspectives on 3D Trademarks, APBI Brazilian IP Attorney Association, Brazil.
Some info on them: Founded in 1963, ABPI now is considered a very active IP association with reach throughout Brazil and with strong business and corporate membership. We have presently 700 members. Our corporate committee has around 100 large Brazilian corporations with interest in IP matters.
- Presenter: August 10-12, 2017 – ABA IPL annual meeting NYC
- Presenter: July 12, 2017 – IP issues in Med Tech, JSL Accelerator, Brooklyn NY
- Presenter: June 22, 2017 – Responsible Innovation, Global MindED Conference, Denver, CO
- Panelist: June 15, 2017 – Unlocking the Secrets to Sales- Tips to Close More Business, Basking Ridge, NJ
- Presenter: June 8, 2017 – Cyber Security, Kean University
- Presenter: June 6, 2017 – Trumps 1st 100 Days, ABA IPL