Patent Attorney - Associate
Gearhart Law is presently seeking an associate level patent attorney (Mechanical/Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science) to join our growing firm. Responsibilities include patent preparation and prosecution, trademark searching/filing, drafting license agreements, counseling clients on the enforcement of their rights, counseling clients on avoidance of their competitor’s rights, preparing non-infringement and/or invalidity opinion letters, and counseling clients on designing around competitor’s patents.
Associates at Gearhart Law can expect to have a “hands on” approach that entails experience, responsibilities, and opportunities that firms typically restrict to partners. As such, the candidate must excel in a team environment and be a highly motivated self-starter with excellent business judgment, outstanding written communication skills, and the flexibility to thrive in a fast-paced professional environment.
The ideal candidate will...
- preferably hold an advanced degree (Master’s, PhD, etc. or equivalent) but will consider exceptional candidates holding a Bachelor’s or equivalent
- have industry experience
- have attended/graduated from top ABA accredited law school
- be registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO)
- hold a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and be admitted to practice law in at least one state(in good standing), preferably NJ and/or NY
- have a minimum of 2+ years of IP experience in house, or with a law firm, or total years at both
- demonstrate experience in both patent preparation and prosecution and trademark matters
- have exceptional communication skills, including presentation, interpersonal, writing and conflict resolution
- independently oversee legal matters assigned to the professional
- work collaboratively with other colleagues
- set and meet aggressive deadlines, handle multiple complex legal matters and see projects through to conclusion
- Our compensation is competitive with peer firms and commensurate with our billable hour expectations. Additional compensation is provided for any originating business and meeting certain billable hour thresholds. If interested please send your cover letter, resume, undergraduate and law school transcripts, and three writing samples to: James Klobucar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Gearhart Law is always looking to grow their knowledgeable and hard working team. If you believe you would make an exceptional addition to Gearhart Law, we ask that you forward your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to: James Klobucar (email@example.com). Preference is given to those having portable business.